Dear Mr. Gallagher, Ms. Stewart, and United Way U.S.A Trustees,
I write this brief letter to express both appreciation and grave concern. I appreciate the positive impact that your work has had on communities in the United States and around the world. Unfortunately, I fear that your positive impact will be tarnished by your support of Planned Parenthood. It has come to my attention that United Way gives money to Planned Parenthood. As you are probably aware, allegations have arisen that Planned Parenthood is illegally engaged in receiving payment for the distribution and transportation of fetal organs and other body parts. Additionally, it is alleged that Planned Parenthood has illegally altered its abortion procedures in order to obtain intact organs from preborn babies and to distribute them for payment.
My questions are simple: Does United Way endorse the distribution of baby parts by Planned Parenthood in exchange for cash? If so, how do you justify that position? If not, when will United Way cease giving funds to Planned Parenthood?
Thank you for your attention to these all-important questions.
StemExpress is a multi-million dollar company that supplies human blood, tissue products, primary cells and other clinical specimens to biomedical researchers around the world to fuel regenerative medicine and translational research. Founded in 2010, we offer the largest variety of raw material in the industry, as well as fresh, fixed and cryopreserved human primary cells.
“for any person to knowingly acquire, receive, or otherwise transfer any fetal tissue for valuable consideration if the transfer affects interstate commerce” 42 U.S.C. 282g-2(a).
Image credit: Ed Stetzer
“In these cruel cages, the animals’ muscles and bones atrophy from years of immobilization” (Pitt)
In the cruel hands of the abortionists, the muscles and bones of preborn human beings are ripped from their bodies and crushed by the cold sharp teeth of the physician’s forceps.
“As you know, these birds producing eggs for your shelves are crammed five or more into cages that are not large enough for even one hen to spread her wings” (Pitt).
As you know, these slaughtered children produce organs to sit on the shelves of companies which then sell them for “research.”
“In short, cramming hens into cages for their entire lives constitutes cruelty to animals, and animals deserve better” (Pitt).
In short, dismembering children so as to rob them of life constitutes cruelty to human beings, and these babies deserve better, much better.
“You’ve shown great courage and integrity on a range of issues. Won’t you please extend that sensibility—and basic decency—to chickens?” (Pitt).
Won’t you please extend that sensibility – and basic decency – to preborn human beings? Won’t you?
You’ve probably seen the widely shared video of a Dr. Deborah Nucatola, Senior Medical Director at Planned Parenthood, nonchalantly discussing the way Planned Parenthood traffics the body parts of aborted preborn babies. If you haven’t seen it, stop reading, scroll to the bottom of this post, and watch it. Then come back and finish reading. I’ve included both edited and full versions. In response, Planned Parenthood has defended themselves saying that (1) they are only being “reimbursed” for specimens donated for scientific research, and (2) the group that recorded Dr. Nucatola is really a dastardly and dishonest and you shouldn’t believe them. Most people who see the video are horrified, as well they should be, as was I. So, here are five points characteristic of what’s been rolling around my head since first seeing the video.
- It’s worse than we thought. Let’s begin with a reminder that selling preborn baby bodies is not the worst thing that Planned Parenthood does. The worst thing they do is kill preborn babies. That is their greater sin, and that is bad enough. This week we learned that it is not their only sin. They also turn around and exchange the organs and extremities of aborted babies for money, which means it’s worse than we had previously known. So, let’s be disgusted at what we’ve seen, but let’s remember to keep perspective and not lose sight of the bigger issue. It’s wrong to kill babies.
- You should be outraged, but not surprised. We should be horrified by the practice and the attitude of the power players at Planned Parenthood. What we should not be is surprised. These are the folks who make their living by ripping the arms and legs off the most vulnerable and defenseless people on the face of the planet. That their consciences are so seared as to be unbothered by the thought of selling the bits and pieces they’ve sliced, diced, hacked, and whacked is not much of a stretch. After all, they are in the business to make money, and they’ve found a way to make more of it. So, be angry. Be frustrated. Be horrified. Be furious. Be disgusted. But don’t be surprised. Don’t even begin to be surprised.
- Please pass the dressing. The cavalier attitude with which Dr. Nucatola discussed the harvesting and pricing of preborn baby bodies is stunningly reprehensible, not to mention alarmingly reproachable. What’s that? How much is a head? That’ll cost you $30. Lungs? Let’s call it $50. If you want an intact heart, it’ll run you a little more. Please pass the dressing. Oh, and how ’bout one more glass of Merlot. Callousness like that is enough to make the Devil blush, just before swelling with pride at the success of his merchants of death.
- Let’s talk dollars. As indicated above, Planned Parenthood insists they are not making money off these preborn baby organs. They are simply being “reimbursed” for the shipping and handling costs incurred in the delivery of “tissue” donated for “research.” My first thought upon reading their response was simply: how stupid do they think we are? Even if they post a loss or break even, they are still exchanging the pieces of infant corpses for cash. Make no mistake. They tinker with language in order to sanitize their sins, desensitize our consciences, and deflate our indignation. Don’t fall prey to their Newspeak. Watch the video. They have “buyer(s)” whose demand they supply. There is a price range in which dollar amounts are set per “specimen”. A menu is available. They are in the business of sales.
- The idols of our age. I’ve long said that abortion is the child sacrifice demanded by the false gods of convenience and sex without consequence. This episode has allowed us to see that the pantheon is more crowded than we realized. There’s another idol demanding not only allegiance but the lives of our children. This one has been around for a long time; that presence just became a little easier to perceive. What is its name? You can call it mammon. This new information is surprisingly beneficial, however, because if you want to tear down the high places, you need to know where they are.
The primary indication, to my thinking, of a well-ordered mind is a man’s ability to remain in one place and linger in his own company. Be careful, however, lest this reading of of many authors and books of every sort may tend to make you discursive and unsteady. You must linger among a limited number of master-thinkers, and digest their works, if you would derive ideas which shall win firm hold in your mind. Everywhere means nowhere…And in reading of many books is a distraction.
Accordingly, since you cannot read all the books which you possess, it is enough to posses only as many books as you can read…So you should always read standard authors; and when you crave a change, fall back upon those whom you read before.
Which two or three books do you go back to over and over? Which authors do you tend to read more than others? How might digital media forms relate to Seneca’s warning against disorderly reading? Do feed readers epitomize “discursive and unsteady” reading?